What is police misconduct?

Police misconduct includes Victoria Police personnel:

  • failing to act consistently with Victoria Police policies and procedures
  • behaving disgracefully or improperly (on or off duty)
  • discrediting Victoria Police or its personnel.

What can IBAC take complaints about?

 This may include:

  • unauthorised access, use and disclosure of police information, eg the Law Enforcement Assistance Program (LEAP)
  • drink driving or traffic offences by police members
  • using, selling or dealing drugs
  • theft
  • accepting bribes
  • not declaring or managing Declarable Associations, or conflicts of interest
  • unauthorised secondary employment
  • misuse of police resources and breaches of information security
  • stalking, family violence, sexual offences, assault
  • discrimination or prejudice motivated by race, religion, disability, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or other characteristics
  • breaches of human rights
  • excessive use of force
  • duty failure
  • distributing offensive material
  • misrepresentation on log books, time sheets or registers.

If your complaint doesn't involve the above, you can make a complaint to the Victoria Police Conduct Unit. Call 1300 363 101 for advice and assistance from Victoria Police Professional Standards Command.

What can’t IBAC investigate?

  • Minor duty failures or service issues by Victoria Police (eg officers not wearing the appropriate uniform).
  • Outcomes of traffic or court decisions.
  • Matters where IBAC considers that another person or body is more appropriate to investigate, in accordance with legislation. This includes referring allegations to Victoria Police for investigation where appropriate.

IBAC's oversight of Victoria Police

IBAC's role providing independent oversight of Victoria Police includes:

  • receiving complaints and notifications about corrupt conduct and police personnel conduct (including complaints received by Victoria Police and mandatorily reported to IBAC)
  • assessing those complaints and notifications to determine which will be referred to Victoria Police
    for action, which will be dismissed, and which will be investigated by IBAC
  • providing or disclosing information to the Chief Commissioner relevant to the performance of the duties and functions of Victoria Police
  • reviewing investigations of selected matters referred to Victoria Police to ensure those matters were handled in a thorough, impartial and timely manner
  • conducting 'own motion' investigations about police personnel conduct or corrupt conduct
  • providing oversight through investigation of deaths and serious injuries associated with police contact (pursuant to a standing 'own motion' investigation)
  • conducting private and public examinations to assist investigations into police personnel conduct and, in the case of public examinations, exposing systemic issues, encouraging people with relevant information to come forward and to serve as a deterrent to others
  • ensuring police officers and protective services officers have regard to the Charter of Human Rights including through investigations, and reviews and audits of Victoria Police complaint investigations (for more information, see Legislation we work under)
  • undertaking research and other strategic initiatives, including auditing how Victoria Police handles its complaints
  • informing and educating the community and Victoria Police about police misconduct and corruption, and ways it can be prevented.

Anyone can complain to us about police misconduct. 

Find out how.

If your complaint isn't about public sector corruption, find out which other agencies you can contact.