What is police misconduct?
IBAC takes complaints about misconduct by Victoria Police personnel including:
- breaches of human rights
- excessive use of force
- discrimination or prejudice based on race, religion, disability, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or other characteristics
- unauthorised access, use and disclosure of information held by Victoria Police
- drink driving or traffic offences
- using, selling or dealing drugs
- theft, accepting bribes
- ·not declaring or managing conflicts of interest
- ·not declaring associations incompatible with their role or that may give rise to a reasonable perception they’re not upholding their obligations or reputation as a Victoria Police employee
- unauthorised secondary employment
- misuse of police resources
- stalking, family violence, assault, sexual misconduct and sexual assault
- duty failure, such as failure to take appropriate action, follow Victoria Police policies, provide adequate care or report misconduct or corruption
- distributing offensive material
- misrepresentation on log books, time sheets or registers.
Police misconduct you can complain to IBAC about broadly includes Victoria Police personnel:
- failing to act consistently with Victoria Police policies and procedures
- behaving disgracefully or improperly (on or off duty)
- discrediting Victoria Police or its personnel.
Learn more about IBAC's police oversight role.
If your police complaint does not involve a matter IBAC can investigate, you can make a complaint to the Victoria Police Conduct Unit. Call 1300 363 101 for advice and assistance from Victoria Police Professional Standards Command.
If you have a complaint about discrimination in employment or in the provision of goods and services, or racial vilification, you can contact the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission. The Commission can also provide information about human rights protected by Victoria’s Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities.
If your complaint is not about police misconduct or public sector corruption, find out which other agencies you can contact.