What is police misconduct?

Police misconduct is inappropriate or illegal conduct in connection with their official duties.

Complaints to IBAC about Victoria Police misconduct include:

  • human rights breaches
  • using excessive force
  • discrimination or prejudice based on race, religion, disability, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or other characteristics
  • unauthorised access, use or disclosure of Victoria Police information 
  • drink driving or traffic offences
  • using, selling or dealing drugs
  • theft, accepting bribes
  • not declaring or managing conflicts of interest
  • not declaring associations that aren’t compatible with their role or that may make a reasonable person think they’re not upholding the obligations or reputation of a Victoria Police employee
  • unauthorised secondary employment
  • misuse of police resources
  • stalking, family violence, assault, sexual misconduct and sexual assault
  • distributing offensive material
  • misrepresentation on log books, time sheets or registers
  • duty failure, for example, failing to:
    • take appropriate action
    • follow Victoria Police policies
    • provide adequate care 
    • report misconduct or corruption.
  • inconsistently applying Victoria Police policies and procedures
  • behaving disgracefully or improperly (on or off duty)
  • discrediting Victoria Police or its personnel.
  • If your police complaint isn't a matter IBAC can investigate, you can make a complaint to the Victoria Police Conduct Unit instead. Call Victoria Police Professional Standards Command on 1300 363 101 for help. 

  • For discrimination related to employment, goods and services or race, contact the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission. The Commission can also give you information about human rights protections under Victoria’s Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities.