COVID-19 and independent oversight of Victoria Police

IBAC's independent oversight of Victoria Police continues within the parameters of public health safety precautions.

We are taking complaints and continuing our work to prevent and expose police misconduct and corruption. IBAC prioritises for investigation allegations of serious or systemic police misconduct and corruption.

As part of the emergency response to COVID-19, Victoria Police is enforcing a range of public health directions made under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 by Victoria's Chief Health Officer. This may include policing travel, gatherings, curfews, self-isolation orders and the wearing of masks.

As part of this function, Victoria Police is issuing penalty infringement notices for breaches of the Chief Health Officer's directions. Victoria Police has committed to review each infringement issued to ensure consistency of approach.

IBAC is overseeing the policing of these directions. IBAC's independent oversight of Victoria Police is important to ensure police act lawfully, professionally and ethically.

To find out more about the public health directions Victoria Police may be enforcing, visit the Department of Health and Human Services website.

  • Report police misconduct or public sector corruption to IBAC via our online form.

    If you need help making a complaint, you can call us on 1300 735 135 and leave a message. We aim to return your call within 3-5 business days.

    IBAC's police oversight jurisdiction covers police personnel conduct, which includes unlawful conduct and conduct that departs from police standards, policies and procedures. We prioritise investigation of alleged serious or systemic police misconduct. To find out what IBAC can investigate, see What is police misconduct.

    Misconduct can include breaches of human rights. One of IBAC's functions is to make sure that Victoria Police have regard to human rights as set out in the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006.

  • If you have a complaint relating to the issuing of an infringement by Victoria Police, Victoria Legal Aid provides information about how you can seek a review of an infringement. Information is also available on the Victoria Police and Fines Victoria websites.

  • If you have a complaint about discrimination in employment or in the provision of goods and services, or racial vilification, you can contact the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission. The Commission can also provide information about human rights protected by Victoria’s Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities.

    If you have a complaint about how a public organisation, including your local council or a Victorian government department, has responded to the COVID-19 pandemic, contact the Victorian Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can also look to see if an organisation has breached human rights or not considered them properly.

    IBAC liaises with the Victorian Ombudsman and VEOHRC on issues and concerns relating to police enforcement and other public authorities’ administration of the health directions. The agencies share information and ensure complaints are directed to the most appropriate body.