IBAC investigates complaints about:
- corruption in Victoria’s public sector
- police misconduct.
We prioritise serious or systemic corruption.
Sometimes we conduct a preliminary inquiry to decide whether to investigate. As part of this, we can request information, documents or other relevant items.
Lots of complaints aren't investigated
This is because they:
- don’t involve corrupt conduct or police misconduct
- aren’t about who we investigate
- lack substance or credibility, or are frivolous or vexatious
- have already been dealt with by us or another agency.
We don't need a complaint to start an investigation
'Own motion' investigations can be initiated by our Commissioner if a matter within IBAC's jurisdiction comes to our attention another way.