Video Transcript

My local council: if something is not right, who do I complain to?

Victoria's local councils provide vital community services. Local councils must always act in the best interest of the community.

If you believe something is not right, there are options for reporting.

If you have a complaint about a service, such as bins not being collected or parking infringements, contact your local council.

If your complaint is about an action or decision of a council, contact the Victorian Ombudsman. The Ombudsman can deal with complaints about services, infringements, poor communication or consultation, or breaches of human rights.

The Ombudsman will want to know that you have tried to resolve the issue with the council first, and they usually don’t get involved in complaints about matters that can be decided by a court or tribunal.

If your complaint is about the way a council operates, or the actions of councillors or senior council staff, contact the Local Government Inspectorate.

The Inspectorate takes complaints about council operations and potential breaches of the Local Government Act 2020, including councillors misusing their position, having conflicts of interest, or disclosing confidential information.

If your complaint is about serious or systemic corruption, contact the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission, IBAC.

IBAC takes complaints about suspected serious corruption across the entire public sector including local government for issues such as offering bribes, using a position of influence dishonestly, committing fraud or theft, or misusing information from the workplace.

Victoria has legislation to protect people who report suspected misconduct and corruption in the public sector. This legislation keeps your identity confidential and protects you from reprisals, such as bullying and harassment. IBAC will determine if your complaint qualifies under the public interest disclosure legislation.

For issues with local elections relating to the conduct of candidates, contact the Inspectorate. If you are concerned with the way an election is delivered, such as ballot packs, ballot papers or vote counts, or the actions of election officials, contact the Victorian Electoral Commission

Don’t worry if you are unsure of which agency to contact. A 'no wrong door' policy means that whoever you contact, your complaint will end up at the right agency.

To make a complaint directly to your local council, go to

Complaints to the Victorian Ombudsman can be made online at or by calling 03 9613 6222 or 1800 806 314 for regional callers.

Complaints to the Local Government Inspectorate can be made online at or by calling 1800 469 359.

Complaints to IBAC can be made online at or by calling 1300 735 135.

Complaints to the Victorian Electoral Commission can be made online at or by calling 131 832.