On 27 January 2017, IBAC tabled a report before Parliament on its findings and recommendations following an investigation into the conduct of officers of the Department of Education and Training (DET) in connection with the Ultranet project and related matters.
Known as Operation Dunham, the investigation has resulted in recommendations being made to the:
- Department of Education and Training (DET) to review current arrangements governing how schools and other work areas pursue and respond to commercial opportunities; and strengthen internal procurement and governance arrangements for major projects
- Victorian Public Sector Commission to consider banning public sector employees receiving any gift, benefit or hospitality from a current or prospective supplier
- Department of Treasury and Finance to consider improvements to reviews of high value and/or high risk projects.
View the Operation Dunham special report
Responses to IBAC recommendations
IBAC publishes the responses of public sector agencies to IBAC recommendations following investigations to inform the community about the actions agencies have advised they are taking, and to help other public sector agencies to improve their systems and practices to prevent corruption.
Held from 15 February to 16 March 2016, the public examinations focused on:
- how contracts around the online learning portal were tendered for and awarded
- the personal and business connections between department employees and businesses involved in the Ultranet project
- whether current or former department employees released confidential information, or used their position to influence procurement processes
- whether department employees received payments, gifts, travel, employment opportunities or other benefits because they were involved in the Ultranet tender or procurement processes
- department procurement and conflict of interest processes, and organisational culture.
The hearings were conducted by IBAC Commissioner, Mr Stephen O’Bryan QC. Counsel assisting was Ian Hill QC with Carmen Currie of the Victorian Bar.
Operation Dunham is separate to Operation Ord.